Friday, August 06, 2010

My first quiche! I cobbled it together from several different online sources (why make it easy on myself?). It turned out well, even the crust, tho it wasn't as slapdash as I hoped quiche to be...

Mushroom Quiche (it's rich)
Crust:
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C cubed, chilled butter
6 Tbsp chilled water

Mix flour and salt, cut in butter (don't overdo it - butter can be left chunky), add chilled water bit by bit till dough sticks together, form into a disc (again, don't handle too much - it can be rough), chill for 1 hr. Roll out to 1/8" thickness, fold in half and put in dish, open out and trim edges to fit. Prick bottom with fork, refrigerate 20 mins. Part bake for 10 mins (350 F) weighing it down with foil or wax paper and beans.

Filling:
olive oil
2 shallots
1 lb mushrooms (enough to fill dish when chopped. I used brown mushrooms which are inexpensive)
1/2 C milk
1/2 C cream
3 large eggs
pinch of nutmeg
1 1/2 C gruyere
1 Tbsp fresh tarragon (I added way more)

Sauté chopped shallots 1 min, set aside
Sauté chopped mushrooms till water is released and evaporates (the water never evaporated for me - I drained it out). Add to onion mix. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add half cheese to crust, then onion/mushroom mix, then cheese
Heat milk and cream, add very slowly to egg mix, add herbs and nutmeg
Pour over pie
Bake at 350 F for 30 mins, take out and let sit 10 mins

No comments: