Saturday, October 15, 2011

I have these friends who have a (verging on unhealthy) obsession with gnomes (they gots a LOT of gnomes, and go crazy for anything gnome related). So when I had to make a birthday dinner for one of them (the wife-half), I purchased these vintage gnome cake toppers from Etsy. (Yes, the centre gnome is pushing a wheel barrow filled with pistachios, which is pretty rad). Upon entering my apartment and seeing my cupcake display, the husband-half exclaimed that these were the exact same gnomes that had ignited his obsession! Many years ago he was walking past an L.A. bakery and saw these on a cake. He actually walked in and asked about them, and was told that they were called "el gnomo."

The cupcakes are pistachio olive oil with fig compote filling. Very yum recipe.

No comments: